One of the reasons people buy a hot tub is to help relieve stress. So why add any stress to your life in the hot tub shopping experience? Due to the number of brands, products, features and options available, choosing the right hot tub can be an overwhelming process. To help make the shopping process less stressful, below are several key tips on how to buy a hot tub, and important questions to ask along the way.
MANUFACTURER AND DEALER
- How long has the manufacturer been in business?
- Are the manufacturer and dealer in good standing with the Better Business Bureau?
- Have they won any awards or received industry recognition?
ENERGY EFFICIENT HOT TUBS
- Is the spa totally insulated, not just fully foamed?
- How much will your estimated monthly operating costs be? (Beware of spas which can cost in excess of $50 per month to operate).
EASE OF USE
- Is there an automated water care system?
- Is the spa water continuously filtered 24 hours a day?
- How loud are the hot tub pumps? Does the spa have a quiet circulation pump, or does it run the loud jet pump to clean the spa?
- What are your options to keep the water soft and clean?
HOT TUB FEATURES
- Is the spa built entertainment-ready so you can add a music system or TV at any time, even after you’ve purchased the spa?
- Can you customize the hot tub with a faux stone cabinet or surround the spa with whatever material you desire?
- Does the spa have additional lighting besides just an underwater light?
- Does the spa offer a variety of hydromassage jets for all muscle groups?
- Can you divert water to different combinations of jets?
- Can you control the jet air flow – more for stronger performance, less for a softer touch?
- What spa parts are covered under warranty and for how long?
- How does the manufacturer’s warranty compare with other hot tub brands? Are there undesirable limitations or exclusions?
- Is there a No Fault® heater warranty?